Spam

We heard you like forums, so we made a forum to talk about the forum. Important announcements and updates will go live in this forum.
Valerie

Spam

Post by Valerie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to apologise for the influx of spam that’s crept its way onto the forums lately.

Brandy (Hello Subscription admin) is currently dealing with a lot going on and I’m not as active on the forums as I was at the beginning, so we’re not as fast at dealing with spam accounts as we could be. We’re looking into other options but basically I’m making a point to stop in once day to delete spammy members before they can post, and clean up any spam threads or posts that have been made (as well as slam down the banhammer).

Thanks for your patience.
These users thanked the author Valerie for the post (total 5):
dotzAACbettyricecakesRaininapplesalexntanz

AAC

Spam

Post by AAC » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi @Valerie, I am wondering if there is an option that if a senior member (those of us in dark blue) can remove spam?
PM me for my swap link! :D

Valerie

Spam

Post by Valerie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 pm

No, only moderators can remove spam. There is no “senior member” privilege, it’s only to grant you access to the RAOK forum.

bettyricecakes

Spam

Post by bettyricecakes » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:56 am

Is there a way for members to report spam?

Valerie

Spam

Post by Valerie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am

Yup! Top right of each reply is a series of icons including one with an ! in it. Hit that one, select the reason (Spam) and submit. Unfortunately mods don’t get any sort of email notification, and it’s usually obvious that a post is spam, but it does highlight the thread in bright yellow for us making it more obvious.

bettyricecakes

Spam

Post by bettyricecakes » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Valerie wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am
Top right of each reply is a series of icons including one with an ! in it. Hit that one, select the reason (Spam) and submit.
I thought that exclamation point was for when you were posting about something really exciting. I've been waiting for something exciting to happen to use it. :joy:
These users thanked the author bettyricecakes for the post (total 2):
RaininapplesAAC

Valerie

Spam

Post by Valerie » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: omg I love that.
These users thanked the author Valerie for the post (total 2):
Raininapplesbettyricecakes

hellosubscription
Site Admin

Spam

Post by hellosubscription » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 pm

We’ve switched user registration to admin approval. This means there will be a bit of a delay when someone registers until one of the admins can check to make sure they’re a real person. Thankfully new registrations have slowed down A LOT and this shouldn’t have too much of an impact. Admins receive email notification of new registrations so we can act on it ASAP. The spammers tend to register in the dead of night (time difference, my guess).

Thanks everyone!
These users thanked the author hellosubscription for the post (total 4):
RaininapplesAACbettyricecakesFleur

hellosubscription
Site Admin

Spam

Post by hellosubscription » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:30 am

Few anti-spam measures enabled, if one or both of these work at cutting down the influx of spam accounts then we can turn off admin approval for new registrations:

- Q & A captcha: Requires a question to be answered that a bot can’t just google.
- Mandatory custom field added at registration that needs to be answered. If it’s gibberish, we’ll know it’s not a real person.
These users thanked the author hellosubscription for the post:
AAC

Valerie

Spam

Post by Valerie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Alright, so it looks like there is no reliable way to prevent bots from registering – they managed to get past the Q &A captcha and as predicted put “dafsasdf” as their favourite subscription box at registration. >.<

So instead what we have done is opened registration back up without admin approval, but new users will have their first posts go into a moderation queue so we can ensure they are not spam. Once they’ve had one post approved, they become normal regular members like the rest of us. :unicorn:
These users thanked the author Valerie for the post (total 3):
AACdotzCatherine