Smile Direct Club

glowingamber

Smile Direct Club

Post by glowingamber » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 am

Do you or anyone you know use Smile Direct Club? The girl that babysits for me needs braces and her mom is not really motivated to actually make an orthodontist appointment. Is this a good alternative? Or is this more for folks who only need slight adjustments?

lisah

Smile Direct Club

Post by lisah » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:30 am

@glowingamber I have been looking into getting Invisalign, and the way my dentist explains the difference between that and Smile Direct Club (SDC) are that:
- SDC does not schedule any orthodontist check-in, they simply send you braces to wear monthly. This is why it is much cheaper
- Since the adjustment are not "tracked" by orthodontist, SDC works best for slight adjustments. Whereas more "serious" or intensive changes (e.g. adjust over/ under-bite, crowding, missing teeth etc) typically requires orthodontist to check-in monthly and may require more work
These users thanked the author lisah for the post:
Raininapples

glowingamber

Smile Direct Club

Post by glowingamber » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:30 am

@lisah Thank you for the info! I figured SDC would be for more subtle adjustments. I really hope this girl's mom gets it together and makes her an appointment with an orthodontist, because if she keeps letting this go, she is going to damage her teeth (and confidence) permanently. ;_;

lisah

Smile Direct Club

Post by lisah » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:13 pm

@glowingamber I hope so too, it's def easier to get braces sorted out in the teen years, even if it's not the most pleasant for teenager in middle/ high school. Still a lot better than getting it done as an adult!
These users thanked the author lisah for the post:
glowingamber

bettyricecakes

Smile Direct Club

Post by bettyricecakes » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Does she still have her wisdom teeth? I believe most orthodontists require the wisdom teeth to be removed prior to treatment. If she tries the Smile Club and then has to have her wisdom teeth removed later on, it might undue any progress made.

I sympathize with your young friend and hope she's able to get the help she needs.

bettyricecakes

Smile Direct Club

Post by bettyricecakes » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:41 pm

This article came up in my newsfeed:

Teeth-straightening startups can be a cheap alternative to braces. But orthodontists have their doubts.
Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyl ... story.html

DinGr

Smile Direct Club

Post by DinGr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:44 am

Nice article, thanks for sharing! Those braces can be really expensive... My dental health is really important to me. I try to use only natural care products. Here is a bamboo toothbrush I've found recently. I think organic is definitely better than plastic.